Monday, 12 January 2015

How to prevent distraction burglary

What is distraction burglary?

What is distraction burglary?

Distraction burglary is when an intruder calls at your home posing as a tradesman or someone asking for your help with something. They will make up any kind of story in order to gain entry to your home as they have only one intention, to steal!

Common lies an intruder will say to convince you to let them into your home:

  • “I’m from the ‘Water Board’, there’s a leak down the road I need to check your water supply.” – Don’t be fooled this will never be true as the phrase ‘water board’ is no longer a phrase used by legitimate organisations.
  • “I need to read your meter.” – Always check with your utility supplier that this is a legitimate representative before you let them and check that they carry identification. Some suppliers operate a password scheme.
  • “We’re the police, we’ve caught a burglar, we think he’s stolen your cash and we need to check your money is safe.” – A genuine police officer will never do this. Under no circumstances should you let them into your home. 

No ID? No way!

A genuine representative or trader will always be more than happy to show you their identification. An ID card will confirm who they are and the company they work for. If they refuse to show you their ID or stop you from examining it more carefully, shut the door and phone the police on 999 immediately. Police across the UK are urging members of the public to report any rogue traders that may be operating in your local area to reduce the risk of doorstep crime and distraction burglary. 

Download our 'Bogus Caller Initiative' sign by clicking the image below to deter rogue traders or a potential intruder... 

Deter a burglar or rogue trader with our No ID No way sign.


Rogue Traders – Do’s and Don’ts 


    Rogue traders do's and don'ts.
  • Don’t ever go to a bank or cash point with a trader; legitimate traders would never do this!
  • Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into agreeing to have work carried out. If you ask them to leave and they don’t, call the police dial 999.
  • Do discuss any work you feel needs carrying out on your property with a relative or friend who can help you find a reputable trader.

If you suspect a bogus caller call 999 immediately and report it to the police.

(Source: Wycombe District Council)

 Book a CRB checked local locksmith by calling 0800 035 0451 or visiting

No comments:

Post a Comment